Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee --> Momentum of heavy blows.

> I could easily see my estimate being
> off by a factor of 2, but I would doubt that
> my guess is off by a factor of 10.  So in
> summary, there is enough momentum to knock
> you off balance maybe, but it won't send
> you flying.

This is excellent. Perhaps knock back is inappropriate, but a 3/DX save
might be required to avoid losing balance etc.

BTW you might actually be off by a factor of 2 or a bit less... most swords
(one handed, at least) weighed closer to 1 kg rather than 2.

> This should be true with most weapons.
> To do damage you want to have a high kinetic
> energy not a high momentum.  Since K.E. is
> proportional to velocity squared, a lighter
> faster weapon will be better at penetration
> etc., than a slightly heavier but slightly
> slower weapon.  Bullets are a perfect example
> of this.
>
> Rick

This is not correct. Penetration (of armour, etc.) is proportional to K.E.,
but actual wounding potential goes with momentum. Observation and experiment
has shown time and again that a bigger, slower round will do more harm than
a lighter, faster one ('course, a bigger, faster round beats 'em both, but
that's another matter....)

A simple example is the 9x19mm parabellum round vs. the old .45 ACP. The
former has good penetration (for a pistol cartridge) but crappy put down
power. The reverse is true for the .45 - poor penetration but better
wounding potential (again, for a pistol cartridge)