Re: (TFT) Spellcasting, Fatigue, Wounds and Arrows

In a message dated 11/24/2003 8:14:51 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> That would add many reasons to track where everyone's bodies fall, and any
> gear they might drop when they pass out.

Yes.

> And if wizards can sense metal innately, they get to be metal detectors...

Only for iron. (Technically, IMC, only for ferromagnetic materials. In my
campaign world of Etan, "silver" weapons are actually stainless steel - an
alchemical variant of stainless steel that uses silver instead of chromium. It
resists corrosion, magnets don't stick to it, and it doesn't inhibit spellcasting.)

> ... and if so, how about non-wizards who learn a spell? Do they get the
> metal detector ability?

Yes.

> If the penalty is -1 per 10 grams, surely some folks would make special
> arrows and bolts with higher iron content for this purpose.

No, because they'd still want to *hit* with those arrows and bolts. That 10
grams is for a 100% steel arrowhead. Making the arrowhead much heavier would
result in severe Dx penalties and reduced range. One could make the shaft of the
arrow from iron or steel, but that would be difficult and I doubt that the
result would be satisfactory. Most likely you'd get an expensive arrow that flew
like a pig thrown sideways.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow