[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
(TFT) Worldbuilding question
This isn't a TFT question per se, but rather a worldbuilding question about
the world in which I set my TFT game.
I have a bunch of minor kingdoms, modeled loosely on Italian city-states or
German principalities. Most of them have populations in the 20,000-30,000
range: One town of 2000-3000 and the rest in farming villages with populations of a
few hundred each.
My question is: How much government would these kingdoms have? How many
ministers, how many minions, how many royal servants, etc.?
What I've got so far is:
- Ruler and immediate family (spouse, children, maybe an unmarried younger
sibling or widowed parent)
- A handful of henchmen/ministers/privy counselors
- A "Lord Mayor" who may be either the king's viceroy wrt the town, or the
town's representative in the king's court.
- A "town watch" of 4-6 men
- A "Royal Guard" also of 4-6 men - these will be elite fighters who serve as
the ruler's bodyguards. (Sort of a miniaturized version of the King's
- A handful of rural nobles who spend most or all of their time away from
- Ambassadors on an ad-hoc basis - if the king needs to negotiate with a
neighbor, he'll send an ambassador & party (adventure fodder!), but it won't be a
regular, full-time position.
- One to two dozen servants for the royal palace/family itself, plus extra
servants for the various lords & ministers.
- Several dozen very minor nobles/landed knights. Half sworn directly to the
king, and the other half to the rural nobles. They'll spend most of their time
administering to their manors & estates, but can be called up in case of war
- Additional Minions. This is my question: What kind & how many?
Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow
Post to the entire list by writing to email@example.com.
Unsubscribe by mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org with the message body