Re: (TFT) TFT in Space-- Starleader Assault

I'd just be guessing if I speculated about what the Starleader ship combat
system would be like, as I have zero information about it beyond what is
published in Interplay and Starleader Assault. I do have Starleader
Assault and will try to dig it up and see if it has anything interesting
to mention. I did play it a bit and enjoyed it for a while just as a
stand-alone shootout game, but it had limits, even as a shoot-em-up. I
think I added some house rules because it seemed to be missing something,
IMO. My memory was that it was like TFT, but with some differences such as
slightly different attributes, and maybe a different turn sequence trying
to be better suited to blaster combat. I thought it was more like TFT than
anything else, with a little added for the new setting, and a lot less
complete and less problem-free than even basic Melee. However if
Metagaming had continued and developed it a lot more, it could have turned
into something fun, maybe.

I played some Traveller, too, and rather missed the tactical map of TFT.
Starleader Assault would've brought mapped tactical combat to the sci fi
genre. Of course now there is GURPS Traveller, but I know the TFT group is
mostly people who don't want GURPS' complexity. But if you've been playing
since TFT, you could probably adapt much of the GURPS books for use in TFT
without too much trouble. Though, most GURPS worldbooks don't really have
all that much good game content, though - they tend to be 80% generic
background info, 15% basic game info, and maybe 5% good interesting game
mechanics and stats. Of course, this from my rare perspectice as someone
who is mainly looking for good detailed game mechanics, and is very
critical of oversimplified ones. And, I'm digressing ... ahem.

PvK