RE: (TFT) multiple dice

Sure, something like that could work well. To answer what I actually use
most recently, I would say GURPS with house rules. GURPS adds some more
attentuation to the automatic and critical success and failure rules, and
has different results depending on what the event represented by the roll
is. On top of that, I add some more, but I'm a fan of complex rules.
Essentially, if the first roll is at either end of the scale, I determine
the severity by rolling dice again on a table which takes into account
modifiers again, and is different depending on what is happening. GURPS
has a 3-die critical hit table and a 3-die critical miss table, with the
most common results being automatic hit or miss, but no other result, and
the ends of those tables being more extreme results like triple damage or
hit self.

PvK