Re: (TFT) Doing damasge modernly

Robert Morger
Pangaea_TFT Fantasy RPG adventure
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pangaea_TFT/
Subscribe:  Pangaea_TFT-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

>That's pistols vs rifles, once again. As I said in an earlier
>post, a single pistol wound has about a 20% chance of being
>fatal. And so yes, 2d-1 is right for either a mace or a .38
>special. But a deer rifle (e.g. a .30-30, .30-06, or .308) is
>*designed* to do one-shot kills of mammals weighing between 100-
>250 lbs. So it should have an average damage well over 10 points -
>at least 2-3 times the damage of a .38.

I agree with you that a rifle has alot more potential as a one-
shot one kill weapon, but here lies the problem with this theory,
it still all comes down to accuracy unless you are using some type
of specialty rounds. If you go with the average soldier most
rounds expended in a fire fight are never aimed just pumped off in
the general direction of the foe, now a rifle in the hands of a
competent sniper is a whole different matter.

A rifle through the fleshy section of your arm is actually going
to cause less damage than the slower less powerful pistol round
through the same area as long as no bone is contacted. If bone are
vitals are contacted then the rifle wins hands down.
rifles also work well for accuracy and distance but become a
liability in close quarters brawls.

I think my weapon of choice for midrange to close quarters would
have to be the 12ga shotgun. You want brute force stopping power
fire a slug. Multitarget possibility 00 buckshot or a stack of
dimes also good stopping power. Crowd control rubber shot. Armor
penetration flechettes or any hardened pellets/shot. Trauma
birdshot.

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net