(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #636

tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> Here in Seattle, the police reportedly have a rule that has them shooting
> suspects with swords within a range of I think 30 feet... seems extremely
> bloodthirsty and cowardly to me, especially if there is only one guy with a
> sword who isn't charging and the officer has a gun out and loaded

You've never heard of the "21 foot rule," this does go by other names as well
but to paraphrase, this concept means that if a person has a deadly edged
weapon within a running distance of 3 seconds of the officer, the officer is in
IMMEDIATE danger of his/her life. At that distance the assailant can charge the
officer and stab him BEFORE the officer can get a shot off. This is hardly
"bloodthirsty + cowardly." I've seen it live and on video with both expert
police marksmen and invited civilians (usually journalists and reporters who have
been given enough training to be able to draw and shoot a service
pistol/revolver). The person with the knife usually wins...If you don't believe me, try it
your self. go to a paintball range with a rubber knife or baton, dip it in
paint and charge someone at a full run. I bet you win....

Sorry about the rant, but this REALLY irritated me...to bring it back to TFT.
Can this be accurately modeled with melee/adv melee?