Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #636

At 08:54 PM 12/3/04 -0500, Sethkimmel@aol.com wrote:
tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> Here in Seattle, the police reportedly have a rule that has them shooting
> suspects with swords within a range of I think 30 feet... seems extremely
> bloodthirsty and cowardly to me, especially if there is only one guy with a
> sword who isn't charging and the officer has a gun out and loaded

You've never heard of the "21 foot rule," this does go by other names as well
but to paraphrase, this concept means that if a person has a deadly edged
weapon within a running distance of 3 seconds of the officer, the officer is in IMMEDIATE danger of his/her life. At that distance the assailant can charge the officer and stab him BEFORE the officer can get a shot off. This is hardly "bloodthirsty + cowardly." I've seen it live and on video with both expert police marksmen and invited civilians (usually journalists and reporters who have been given enough training to be able to draw and shoot a service pistol/revolver). The person with the knife usually wins...If you don't believe me, try it your self. go to a paintball range with a rubber knife or baton, dip it in paint and charge someone at a full run. I bet you win....

I have heard of the rule, and that's what I was reacting to. I thought it was more like 30 feet though. If the pistol user hasn't drawn yet, and the edged weapon user rushes gunman, then yes I think especially with a sword rather than a knife, the sword could have the advantage. However if the swordsman isn't even advancing, or if the gunman has his pistol out and pointed at the swordsman at even 21 feet, it seems clear to me that the trigger can be pulled well before the swordsman can close 21 feet, probably at least twice with an automatic.

Sorry about the rant, but this REALLY irritated me...

No problem. I understand, since the reason I was ranting was that I was pretty sure I understood it was the other way around. I will take your advice and try it out at soonest convenience, but I think it must come down to the distinction above. I agree an officer should be cleared to draw and point his weapon at a swordsman, but if the swordsman doesn't advance, the officer shouldn't shoot him... unless you're saying, and are correct, that he really can't afford to let someone inside 21 feet, even if he's already got his gun levelled at him.

PvK