Re: (TFT) Laws vs Munchkins.

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 12:36, Sethkimmel@aol.com wrote:
> ... . This reminds me: How many GM's out there use the local law to
> punish the more bloodthirsty munchkins in your group (action for next turn? --
> "I kill the unarmed peasant for the experience pts!") ?

Well, usually only in a cause & effect fashion. Many actions may seem smart to a munchkin at first, but as long as the GM thinks them through, often involve eventual risks of consequences, so munchkins often tend to get themselves into trouble. One of the neatest things about RPG's is it lets players try out schemes and see what comes of them. Some of the most fun adventures are ones where the players are driving the plot as much as or more than the GM. There is a temptation as GM to over-persecute players who are trying to get away with things - I think it's usually better to assign a reasonable and usually fairly low chance that they get caught at something right away. Gratuitous bloodthirst though tends to cause problems pretty quickly in many situations (noise, blood, friends, relatives, decent people disliking the murderer, and yes, the authorities).

Also, my revised experience system (posted some months ago) won't give many if any EP for killing unarmed inferiors.

PvK