Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

In a message dated 12/27/2004 11:09:20 PM Central Standard Time,
cgadda@earthlink.net writes:

>I should stress that I was not trying to create a "death spiral" - a more
>careful analysis of these proposed rules will show that I've actually
>increased the odds of survival in a number of subtle ways (allowing survival
>to negative ST, etc.).

OK, "death spiral" is the term given to the effect where, in a game system,
getting hurt makes you less able to fight, which makes it more likely you'll
get hurt worse, which makes you even less able to fight, which makes it even
more likely...

>Nor am I necessarily wanting slavish realism -
>playability and simple fun are even more important considerations. But if
>possible I do want game rules to reflect "realistic" results at least in an
>abstract sense. Fudging a bit for more fun is fine.
>
>I should also note that the DX- due to injury is not my idea, but just
>original TFT rules, and I was merely muddling through trying to codify and
>rationalize the whole thing.

I know they were in the original rules, and I was commenting on your changing
them - suggesting that you should drop them instead. I suppose I could have
been clearer about that.

Anyway, my suggestion was that eliminating the rule, rather than modifying
it, would make things both simpler *and* more realistic - a win-win situtation.

>One observation: we should probably not limit ourselves to thinking in terms
>of just pain. For example, were I to be hamstrung by a sword, my inability
>to feel any pain would be irrelevant - no matter how hard I try, I won't be
>able to run, since my body physically cannot do that anymore. Point being
>that with enough strutural damage, you might well have penalties just
>because your body can no longer perform certain moves because of
>muscle/skeletal damage in key places.

True. But IMO that sort of thing is better represented in (btb) TFT by the
"Aimed Shots" optional rule (AM p20) or possibly by the "crippling hits"
optional rule on page 21. Or if you're doing house rules, take the "crippling hits"
rule as a starting point and modify to taste.