Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

----- Original Message -----
From: <ErolB1@aol.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments
appreciated.

> Anyway, my suggestion was that eliminating the rule, rather than modifying
> it, would make things both simpler *and* more realistic - a win-win
situtation.

Well, yes - assuming your suggestion is in fact more realistic. Given that
you haven't presented even a basis, much less proof, this becomes
problematic. I do not doubt that you have a good reason for saying this, but
it would be a great boon if you would present something to back it up with.

As it stands, as far as I can tell you're arguing solely from situations
where the injured combatant was on drugs or very drunk, which is irrelevant
for the narrow purposes of this discussion.

> >One observation: we should probably not limit ourselves to thinking in
terms
> >of just pain. For example, were I to be hamstrung by a sword,

<<SNIP>>

> True. But IMO that sort of thing is better represented in (btb) TFT by the
> "Aimed Shots" optional rule (AM p20) or possibly by the "crippling hits"
> optional rule on page 21. Or if you're doing house rules, take the
"crippling hits"
> rule as a starting point and modify to taste.

***sigh*** it is always so difficult to present the abstract to the literal
minded :-) (just ribbing you a bit, Erol). You neatly ignored my point,
however.

Let me present a different example: suppose I stave in 3 of your ribs with a
mace. Assume further that I do not puncture a lung. Well, even if you are
not feeling pain, I can guarentee you will still not be anywhere near 100%.
I have just compromised the strutural integrity of your body, and you can be
quite sure that it WILL impact everything else. Remember, using a sword or
other melee weapon involves your WHOLE body, and not just your arms. Watch
any sword cutting exercise - the whole torso, not just the arms, are used.

While I am starting to question the "8 or more hits and you are knocked
down" rule I think at this point, barring further evidence, some sort of DX-
is probably in order. Though I think it will need to be rewritten - the
rules as they stand may or may not be good.