RE: (TFT) Heretical notion --> Darok, Dihad.

Starleader: Assault!
- I had some fun playing a few shootouts with this. Not nearly as much fun
as I had with Melee. It's an incomplete start of a system, with what seem
like some serious design flaws for use as a campaign combat system. Action
points are an ok concept, but in practice the rules as written produce
silliness where hyperactive characters are the best, doing things like
(IIRC) three peek-a-boo attacks around the same corner, or firing and then
running around a corner too fast for others to catch up to them. Too much
disparity in action points was denying average mortals the chance to fire
back, etc. So, it seemed fake and far from how an actual firefight works,
as soon as it got any distance away from average people with average
equipment.
Using TFT rules has issues too because again, it doesn't really play like
a firefight. A good tactical shootout game should, IMO, focus more on
taking cover, and providing covering fire and suppression.

Underearth. I just had the first tactical game. Is that the one you're
talking about, or was there a second product which I didn't get? The
version I had had gameplay flaws, and offered practically nothing useful
to me as a TFT player. I played a few battles and decided it was extremely
lacking. From the discussion, it sounds like it offered close to nothing.
My friends and I had no problem starting with Melee and Wizard when we
found them in 4th or 5th grade. Dumbed down rules just seem dumber.

I don't follow the "side initiative" comment - TFT has side initiative
(for movement) - that's how leadership talents help the group, for
example. Were attacks done at the same time as movement, then? "The orcs
win initiative, and massacre your whole party in one turn! You don't get
to do anything becaue they killed you all on turn one!"

>> One other odd historical note. Has anyone else ever noted that Forest
>> Lords
>> of Dihad is considered a Gamelords product licensed by Metagaming, while
>> Warrior Lords of Darok is considered a Metagaming product produced by
>> Gamelords?
>>
>> - Marc Gacy

Ya, I noticed, but had forgotten for about 20 years.