Re: (TFT) Rodney King where are you???

-- Justin Grabowski <brethalda@yahoo.com> wrote:---------
Can't we all get along?
I say -
Good point! I may be over-generalizing, but we all seem to like to debate (I know I do) and we all have our own opinions about every aspect of TFT (again, I know I do), but it behooves us to take a little time to review our posts for civility before we hit the send button.  I know I have previously been contacted off list about some ill-conceived and hastily posted comments I've made, and ever since I try to take a little extra care in composing my posts.

---------Justin asks -----------------------------------
  How many of you can say you can play this game now without the rules?

How many other RPGs can you play without constantly refering to the rules?

How many of you are cinematic GMs?

How many of you are realistic GMs?

How many of you play TFT healing like D&D healing?

I answer:

I can absolutely play the game without looking at the rules.  In our first session after a 10 yr gap in gaming I taught  TFT to half the group and then they made characters, all in under an hour - very few games are clear enough for that.

I cannot do that with any other game.

I am the opposite of a cinematic GM.  Low magic, low money, blue-collar heros in my game.

Though I am not sure i'd call it realistic either, as I am hard pressed to consider it realistic when I have travellors assaulted by  an ettin weilding 2 great axes.  But it is un-cinematic.

I play TFT with the healing rules almost precisely as written.  My only changes are to allow healing at 1pt per day if the character convalesces under the daily care of a physicker, and to adopt Ty's death and dying rules, so death is not so automatic at 0 ST.

As I've said before, I LIKE the fact that 3 farmers with sticks are a threat to a starting character.  And even advanced characters (without reverse missile) can still be threatened by 2 starting orcs with heavy crossbows.

John