Re: (TFT) Island of Lost Spells

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Hartley" <jh@brainiac.com>
To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 6:57 PM
Subject: (TFT) Island of Lost Spells

I got my copy of Crown of Kings almost 2 weeks ago, and found myself on
the phone a few days later with George Dew of Dark City Games, who is
extremely interested feedback from people who purchased the game.  He
was very excited about the imminent realease of DCG's next game, The
Island of Lost Spells.

I came home today to find IoLS had arrived in the mail.  Again, I had
that rush one feels when you *know* you're going to have fun with a
game!

A few subtle changes make this an even more satisfying game to hold than
CotK.  The thicker cover with its lush artwork is extremely nice,
and the trimmed right edge is a very professional touch.  Once again
the artwork is first class, from Dario Corallo's counter sheet to Nicole
Cardiff's cover.

The layout is clean and readable, and is well-written, as was CotK.
This is another game I'm really looking forward to digging into!

I heartily agree.

I got my copies of Crown of Kings and Island of Lost spells yesterday as well. Both products are first-rate, especially for the price. According to the inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi , the game Wizard, which cost IIRC 3.95 in 1978, would cost $12.04 in today's money. So the $12.99 price for these products represents a good deal.

Crown of Kings has 2 Melee sized maps and a Melee style countersheet. Island of Lost Spells has one Melee sized map and a different Melee style countersheet. They are Death Test style programmed adventures. Crown is written by Warren Dew, whose name appears with some frequency in the Space Gamer of the late 70s/early 80s. Talk about nostalgia...

I haven't played the games yet, but I expect that this will be a *very* good purchase. And I've also spoken with George and I am satisfied that he's "one of us". His revision of TFT seems to play quickly (based on limited playing) and does address some issues that I have had with TFT. As noted in my other posts, I generally approve of his revisions to the EP system and the talents system in TFT. Of course, you can use his modules with classic TFT as well.

George's website is at http://www.thefantasytrip.net/ .
Dark City Games' website is at http://www.darkcitygames.com/
You can download his Legends of the Ancient World rules at http://www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf

In my opinion, we should encourage George's efforts. While we've talked about reviving TFT, he quietly has gone forward and taken the first steps towards doing so.

Anyhow, just my $0.02.