From: Tim <rebl@swbell.net>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:35:50 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Mark Tapley hits one into orbit

Have any of you read the old Fred Saberhagen novel "Empire of the East"? It's over 25 years old, but is really a nice blend of technology and magic that still holds up today. And talk about a twist at the end....

  Anyway, in that book, some sorcerers are in search of technology, but they don't know any of the concepts, principles, or terminology. However, they can use magic to summon Djinns. These Djinns are kind of like Genies. They will perform tasks for those who summon them, but they must be given very specific instructions on how to perform the task. So the sorcerers play a game with the Djinns kind of like "20 Questions". By trial and error based on the questions they ask and the tasks the Djinns perform, they can construct technologically-advanced items. For example, in the story they finally master lighter-than-air flight by talking a Djinn through the successful construction of a helium-filled balloon.

  I suppose that concept could be used by wizards in a TFT setting. Just something to share, since this discussion reminded me of that great book.

  Regards, Tim

pvk@oz.net wrote:
    Where would wizards get the 20th Century knowledge of gravity, friction,
vaccuums, angular correction for planetary rotation, the idea of space
above the atmosphere, orbits, etc? Why would they care? (Rhetorical
questions...)