Re: (TFT) Wargame 5 --> Wizards in TFT Wargame

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 23:59, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
> However, I think you're badly underestimating the efficiency of St transfer
> via Aid spell. If each apprentice has Dx 11, that's still a 37.5% chance of the
> transfer failing. And a successful transfer goes away in two turns if not
> used, by the book. That isn't very long at all.

In my campaign an Apprentice with a DX of 11 will
have a hard time finding work and won't get full
pay if he does.  However, your point is well taken.
Even apprentices with DX 13 will have wastage.

> On the recovery of fSt, where do you get 30 minutes to get back ~20 fSt? I
> figure 6 wizards, 1 fSt every 15 minutes per wizard = 12 fSt back in 30 minutes.
> Getting back ~20 is more like 45 minutes to an hour. For a wargame, calling
> it an even hour would probably work well.

Oops!

Serious brain failure there.  I sure can't think
of what was going on in my mind when I wrote that.

> Also, at 1 St per turn, continuing spells burn through St very quickly. That
> 20 fSt will only last a minute or two, at that rate. And that's with just 1
> spell up. You've got 6 wizards to cover against counterattack. And most of the
> other useful combat spells last only a minute, by the book.

  True but in that minute and a half, a summoned
gargoyle can fly several battle hexes scout, etc.
and NOT be disbelieved or vanished with some
trivial attack.  My point is that even something
as simple as a summon gargoyle is militarilly
useful when it can stay around for a reasonable
time.

> (My house rules extend this by a factor of five: 1 St per 5 turns to renew
> summonings, reverse missile, stone flesh, etc, and a 5 minute duration for
> images, illusions, fires, walls, etc.)

Neat idea.  Would not this make wizards even more
powerful relative to hero characters?

> If I were in charge of a TFT army that had these wizard squads, I'd attach
> them to the commander and the main sub-commanders ...

Makes sense to me.

> There isn't much by way of scrying spells in the standard list. Crystal ball
> is an item, rather than a spell. Far vision makes a decent telescope or
> binoculars substitute. Telepathy is very good (perhaps too good) for interrogation.
> Detect Enemy is good for finding spys & such (is that messenger for real, or
> an imposter from the enemy side? Possibly under a Glamour spell?) And wizards
> are good for knocking down enemy illusions and images sent to scout/spy on the
> leaders.

There is also wishes and Trance.  In my campaign I've
dumped Trance and created a variety of divination
spells.

  Thanks for the feedback Erol.

  Warm regards, Rick.