Re: (TFT) Magic in combat and TFT...

In a message dated 8/24/2006 6:34:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 16:00, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
>> >From my point of view:
>> 4. I have pumped up heroes in pursuit of a more "cinematic" style of play.
>> swordmaster type hero with an attribute total in the 40-45 range might
well
>> have two attacks per turn with adjDx in the 20-25 range. Partly this is
from new
>> & modified talents, but mostly it comes from heroes in Etan basically
having
>> twice the skill points of by-the-book TFT characters.
>
> This is much the same as what I did.  Superscripts
> make learning more talents possible, and I've added
> powerful talents for the heros.

I ended up applying the KISS principle. I dropped most of my complex rules
for adding skill points and simply ruled "heroes get twice their IQ in skill
points."
Talents I ended up rewriting, and mostly made more powerful by allowing them
to stack.

>> (One result of this that I consider a feature but that I suspect that many
on
>> the list would consider a bug is that a 32 point hero is different from -
and
>> much more competent than - a 32 point "mundane" class NPC who doesn't get
>> doubled skill points.)
>
>I make my NPC's use the same rules as PC's but I
>can't complain as PC's seem to get experience at
>double to triple the rate of NPC's.

Hero (and major villian) NPC's I make using the same rules as PC's. The
non-hero "mundane" class is for Joe Peasant and Jane Goodwife. And Tom the common
alley-basher thug.

>> Can you give an example or two of a high-level wizard who would be
>> over-powered without the restrictions you put on them to keep them about
equal to
>> heroes?
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  The
>basic problem is that the high level spells
>greatly increase the wizard's power, far more
>than an extra few DX & ST help a fighters.

>From your previous message I gathered that you found high IQ spells to leave
wizards more powerful than fighters, even after giving more skill points and
improved talents, and even with the standard short spell durations. That you
had to put extra restrictions on magic on top of this, in order to balance
fighters and mages. Was I mistaken?