Re: (TFT) TFT TM

pvk@oz.net wrote:
> On Wed, August 30, 2006 2:36 pm, David O. Miller wrote:
> > Ever play Chivalry and Sorcery then?
>
> Nope, though it's on my list to browse the rules sometimes for neat ideas.

I was involved in writing the latest version of C&S but that's enough of that.

I wrote a free to use thing called "C&S Essence" which is a game that uses the ideas present in C&S but in 4 pages (of tiny type, another C&S tradition from 1st ed) but using a different system

THe system I came up with has changed since then (the resolution of contests in that version is too clumsy) but the magic is simple. You buy the spells with experience (like TFT Talents I suppose) and your casting ability is a skill based on your IQ.

You can get it here www.britgamedesigns.co.uk/download/cnsfast.pdf

My point is that Complexity isn't always a good idea. You want a simple idea that works and gives you some depth. RPGs in the early 80s saw "realism" as being inexgtricably linked to complex rules. Space opera has two pages of rules on passing items from one person to another.

in TFT terms if it matters then roll for it as a DX roll of the lowest DXed person and mod a wee bit if circumstances demand. If it isn't an integral plot point, then it just happens.

IHMO

col