Re: (TFT) More Wargame Talk... & PvK's thoughts.

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:47, Gavatar wrote:
> As well-thought-out and intelligent as your ideas are for the wargame rules,
> I think you may be barking up the wrong tree, Mr. Smith.  TFT is foremost a
> tabletop-miniatures-combat game ...
>
> Respectfully,
> Gavin

Hi Gavin,
  Please call me Rick.  (I assume that the way people
sign themselves is how they wish to be addressed unless
they say otherwise.)

  I have the Raven rules system for fantasy miniatures
in a shelf before me as I write this.  Those rules are
plenty complicated with each unit having to have a
piece of paper to list its individual attributes for
each stand of figures.  (The game allows a lot of
customization of units, spells, leaders, etc.)

  A significant advantage of counters is that a lot of
information can be recorded right before you.  As for
3D I do have a sneaking admiration of block games...

  I obviously have fonder memories of wargames than do
you.  I have played miniature games and have enjoyed
them.  Their main knock is that they do take up a lot
of space and are very expensive.

  But there is no reason you couldn't come up with
some miniature rules for TFT.  If you come up with a
good, simple system I would be happy to try it.  (If
it is a bad, complicated system I would likely try it
anyway with reservations...  :)  (smiles out loud)

PvK wrote:
> I think many players would have much more
> fun and satisfaction if any such
> fates get introduced in a way that gives
> them a chance to choose one of
> various responses and/or use their abilities
> to affect the actual outcome.
>
> For example, ...

  Thanks for the ideas PvK.  Getting sick is a
possibility on long campaigns, but from a battle
lasting a few hours, I don't think it is a
suitable result.  The rest of your suggestions
are bang on.  As for your puzzle for the PC's to
solve, it feels like the sort of thing that
happens when the GM is playing the PC's in a
campaign.  However do we want that level of
detail in a wargame?

  Warm regards, Rick.