Re: (TFT) Mixing the encounters and using some tactics

-------- "Craig W. Barber" -- Wrote ----------------------

The PCs get wildly mixed groups, why not the NPCs?

Yeah, I could not agree more, and the PCs use tactics why not the
NPCs?

My Ettin toll booth was a big log across a road with 3 humans and an
ettin behind it.  When anyone approached they offered to have the ettin
clear the way for a small toll.  The party would not pay, and started
advancing on the toll collectors and the ettin, so he 4 arches in the
bushes opened fire and all hell broke loose.

Same thing with the Kobolds, they used good tactics and positioning to
humiliate the party, then when the tide inevitably turned, they fled
deeper ito their warren, springing traps on the party along the way to
buy time for escape.

Mixing up he NPCs and their skills, and using simple tactics (like the
players do) makes all the difference in the world.