Re: (TFT) TFT Healing

Yes, there's different types of games. For myself...

If we want to play some hardcore combat, we put down some limitations, make
some characters and go at it arena-style. All the fun without the angst of
losing a PC. Or we do a microquest or something. It's all fun.

If we want campaigning, then I run my campaign. Pretty straight according to
canon. In my case, I ike the relative deadliness of combat, because it tends
for force the cahracters to think ahead, rather than just charge in. This
has a couple of nifty effects on adventures. First off, it allows
less-than-combat worthy player characters to exist. You can have characters
who are invaluable, but usless in combat, and they make all the difference.
Business Sense combined with Rec/Assess Value goes a long way, as a small
example. The second is that adventuring becomes a lot of planning, and that
seems to insure a fair amount of rolepaly in the classic sense. The third is
that when it finally does come down to the slashing and hacking, the
percentage is usually in the party's favor. Then again, I prefer my campaign
to have more of a Lankhmar than Middle Earth flavor.

As well, there's a lot of plot and subplot going on in the world, and it's
fun to have the characters live long enough to get a whiff of it.

But that's just how I do it.

Heck, one of my favorite characters only had, from memory, Thrown Weapons,
Sha-ken, Recognize Value, Business Sense, Thief, Assess Value, and the Mend
spell (useful there to repair flaws in gems and such.) Not much in combat,
but he could get top dollar for the booty. Occasionally cheating the party
was expected, but he always left them getting more money than they would
have without him. His favorite trick was to cast his Mends before going to
bed every night.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com