(TFT) TFT -> GURPS

On Thu, September 14, 2006 1:34 pm, Jonathan wrote:
> On a totally different subject, has anyone converted the TFT Microquests
> for use with GURPS advanced combat system?  I've just picked up the 3rd.
ed.
> Revised rules but haven't looked closely at what kinds of translation
> would be necessary.  Anyone know?

I haven't converted them, but I was thinking of doing so recently, except
I was going to do it for 4th Edition to try those rules out.

But I converted my TFT campaign to GURPS, and I've memorized the 3rd
Edition rules; I'm just a bit rusty. A set of quick and dirty conversion
guidelines could be something like:

Starting Player Characters:
TFT             GURPS
30 points        25 points
32 points        50 points
36 points       100 points
40 points       150 points

Wolf, Bear, Snake, etc.: Use the GURPS animal stats for the same animal.
If the specific animal in the TFT adventure is better than an average TFT
animal, increase the values by about the same amount.

Specific humanoid opponents:
TFT   GURPS
ST -> ST & HT
 8     8    9
 9     9    9
10    10   10
11    10   11
12    11   11
13    12   11
14    12   12
15    13   12
16    13   13
17    14   13
18    14   14
19    14   14
20    15   15
21    15   15
22    16   15
23    16   16
24    17   16
25    17   16
26    18   17
27    18   17
28    19   17
29    19   18
30    20   18

TFT   GURPS
(Use TFT base DX, not AdjDX)
DX -> DX & Skills
6      8 & 6-8
7      8 & 7-9
8      8 & 8-10
9      9 & 9-11
10    10 & 10-12
11    10 & 10-13
12    11 & 11-14
13    11 & 11-15
14    12 & 12-16
15    12 & 12-17
16    13 & 13-18
17    13 & 13-19
18    14 & 14-20
19    14 & 14-21
20    15 & 15-22
21    15 & 15-23
22    16 & 16-24
23    16 & 16-25
24    17 & 17-26

TFT   GURPS
IQ -> IQ & Mental Skills (Most-Highest)
 6    6 & 6-10
 7    7 & 7-11
 8    8 & 8-12
 9    9 & 9-12
10   10 & 10-12
11   10 & 11-13
12   11 & 11-14
13   11 & 11-15
14   12 & 12-16
15   12 & 12-17
16   13 & 13-18
17   13 & 13-19
18   13 & 13-20
19   14 & 14-21
20   14 & 14-22
21   15 & 15-23
22   15 & 15-24
23   15 & 15-25
24   16 & 16-26
25   16 & 16-27
26   16 & 16-28
27   16 & 16-29
28   16 & 16-30
29   16 & 16-31
30   16 & 16-32

TFT
Talent                  GURPS
Running                 Running skill at HT +0
Thrown Weapons          Throwing skill(s) +2 higher than TFT DX indicates
Missile Weapons         Missile skills +3 higher than TFT DX indicates
Alertness               Alertness +3
Warrior                 Combat Reflexes and 50% chance Toughness +1
Veteran                 Combat Reflexes and 50% chance Toughness +2
Fencing                 Sword skills at +3 higher than TFT DX indicates
Two Weapons             Off-Hand Weapon Training or Ambidexterity
UC I                    Brawling at DX +2
UC II                   Brawling at DX +3 and Wrestling at DX +2
UC III                  Karate at DX +2 and Judo at DX +2, Combat Reflexes
UC IV                   Karate at DX +3 and Judo at DX +3, Peripheral
Vision, Combat Reflexes
UC V                    Karate at DX +5 and Judo at DX +4, Peripheral
Vision, Combat Reflexes
Physicker               20 points in medical skills
Master Physicker        40 points in medical skills

Other:
Dwarf -> Give +2 skill in Axe/Mace skills.
Elf -> Give HT +2 skill in Running.

Weapons:
(Note: For weapons like Mace, Small Axe, and polearms, the indicated GURPS
ST for the TFT ST might not be enough for the GURPS minST for the weapon -
either increase the character's ST (maybe reduce HT by the same amount),
or use a slightly different weapon.)
TFT                GURPS
===                =====
Dagger             Small Knife, Large Knife, or Dagger
Main Gauche        Main Gauche, or Large Knife and off-hand weapon
training +2.
Rapier             Rapier or Smallsword
Cutlass            Shortsword with no impaling attack
Shortsword         Shortsword
Broadsword         Broadsword (50% chance impaling)
Bastardsword       Bastardsword (50% chance impaling)
Two-Handed Sword   Greatsword (50% chance imapling)
Greatsword         Greatsword (50% chance imapling)

Hatchet            Hatchet
Small Axe          Hatchet, Small Mace, Axe (note ST 12), or new weapon
SmallAxe ST11 cut sw+1 reach 1, unbalanced, throwable (use axe values) 3
pounds
Mace               Mace or Small Mace
Military Pick      Pick
Morningstar        Morningstar
Warhammer          Maul
Battleaxe          Greataxe

Javelin            Javelin
Spear              Spear
Pike               Spear or Pike or Spear with reach 2,3, 6lbs.
Halberd            Glaive or Poleaxe (50%)
Poleaxe            Poleaxe or Halberd (50%)

Sling              Sling
Short Bow          Short Bow
Horse Bow          Regular Bow
Long Bow           Long Bow
Light Crossbow     Crossbow (ST 11)
Heavy Crossbow     Crossbow (ST 13)

Weapon Quality:
TFT                        GURPS
===                        =====
Sword                      Cheap sword
Fine +1 damage             Good sword
Fine +2 damage             Fine sword
Fine +2 dmg +1 DX          Very Fine sword
described as substandard   Cheap (any)
Most non-sword weapons     Good
Fine non-sword weapons     Fine
Fine (2 or more) weapons   Very Fine

Armor:
TFT                GURPS
===                =====
Cloth              Cloth or Light Leather
Leather            Heavy Leather
Chainmail          Chainmail
Fine Chainmail     Scale Mail
Half Plate         Half Plate, or mixed parts with breastplate or corselet.
Full Plate         Light Plate, not tailored - gives -1 DX
Fine Plate         Heavy Plate, tailored

Small Shield       Buckler or Small Shield
Large Shield       Medium Shield
Tower Shield       Large Shield
Spike Shield       Small (or any size) Shield with a Spike (+1 bash damage)

PvK