Re: (TFT) armies and healing

My big problem with magic items - especially self-powered ones - is the way
they outshine wizardly spellcasting.

As for PCs latching on to items - *of course* they will. They're
professionals. Professionals will have professional-grade gear. And in a RPG with magic
items, those items *are* "professional-grade gear."

Also, it's an old common Stupid GMing Trick to try to solve the problem of
players being too obsessed with something by making that something rare & hard
to get. That trick NEVER works - it just backfires, making the players MORE
obsessed with whatever-it-is.

As I'm someone who hateshateshates even the idea of "ordinary" weapons
breaking on an 18, the house rules for magic item "breakdown" leave me deeply
unimpressed. Now I'm not concerned about magic items making characters all glittery &
 heroic, but if I did want to run a grim&gritty game, I'd absolutely abolish
the possibility of self-powered items - make all items cost St to use, just
like spells.

And even leaving out the aesthetics, "works great - until it breaks"
mechanics in general tend to be problematic in terms of balance. The result is usually
something that's been generally described as "overbalanced" or as a "fragile"
or "unstable" balance.

As for by-the-book XP not taking magic items into account, that's a fair cop.
OTOH I don't think I've ever used by-the-book XP-for-killing-things awards in
either TFT or D&D. Instead, I've always used XP awards at the end of each
session, HERO or GURPS style, or what the current 3.5 edition of D&D calls "free
form" experience.