Re: (TFT) Outdoor Scale - Request for Comments

I think Rick's scale is a bit off the usual interpretation, with lower values than usual. If he's a male in decent shape who does regular activity, then he's above average at least for modern folks, and I think 10 is supposed to be average (albeit medieval average, in TFT). Depending on how large Rick is, it sounds to me like he is more like ST 10-11 rather than 8-9. I guess maybe it depends on what aspect of ST you are measuring, though. I tend to think of TFT ST in terms of weapon minimum ST, and maybe the schism here is at least partly from using ST to represent so many things (muscle, size, power, energy, endurance, condition, psychic energy, damage capacity...). Because thinking about it another way, if 10 is an average medieval male with a daily physical occupation, and we're talking about ST for purposes of endurance and conditioning, maybe I would agree with Rick. However if we're talking about ST for short-term power and minimum ST for weapon-wielding, and an amateur martial artist is an 8, then what are the average modern slobs? 6-7? What about typical non-athletic women? 5-6? Going back to weapon minimum ST, as we all know, a Rapier requires 9, and a shortsword or spear 11. Rick, do you think you'd rate a DX penalty to wield a Rapier?

I think I may have seen one of the greatswords Rick mentions in London when I was 11. Huge alright. At 11 anyway, it seemed like it was made for someone phenomenal.

Back to the topic of marching, though, I think condition and encumbrance have more to do with march rate than strength or sprint speed (MA), though again TFT lacks the distinction. It seems to me though that if anyone in a group is out of physical condition, regardless of muscle or sprinting ability, they will tend to have a very hard time keeping up a good pace for a whole day. When I used The Desert Environment (a nice 3rd party Traveller generic desert adventuring rulebook) in TFT, I actually assigned each character an Endurance score on the Traveller (2-12) scale, which was not necessarily related to their strength - more to my idea of their health and current fitness. In general though I just used the ITL travel rates as a baseline, adjusted by the GM for circumstances, and I and a friend of mine made some pretty enormous TFT worlds mapped using the 12.5 km hex scale.

GURPS BTW has some pretty good travel rules that are not very complex but are more developed than TFT. IIRC it is 50 miles/day on perfect terrain for no encumbrance, 40 for light, 30 for medium (the lightest most typical equipped adventurer parties would usually be), 20 for heavy, 10 for extra-heavy. Adjust down for terrain and circumstances.

PvK