Re: (TFT) Reaction Rolls

In a message dated 10/11/2006 7:55:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
dwtulloh61@cox.net writes:

> > ====
> > Reaction and Performance Rolls
> >
> > A "performance roll" is a 3 die roll made to impress an audience
> > with a work of art or entertainment. Usually the roll is made
> > against IQ, but sometimes is made against Dx when the GM
> > calls for it.
>
> There should be some sort of modifier for the expectations of
> the audience (which could be positive or negative)

Given that I'm not sure whether a low expectation should make it harder or
easier to get a good reaction (ditto a high expectation), I don't think I want
to go there. It's not worth added complexity IMHO. Good point to bring up,
though.

> > A successful roll gives the performance a +1 reaction
> > roll bonus, success by 10 points gives a +2 reaction, and
> > success by 20 gives +3.
>
> How do you succeed by 20 on a 3 die roll?

Well, I run a campaign where talents can boost adjDx (& IQ) for particular
rolls, sometimes by a lot. A really expert swordsman or archer will have weapon
adjDx rolls in the 20s (or rarely, even the 30s), for example - its that kind
of "heroic scale" game. So I want to allow for really great bards, cooks,
dancers, etc. having skills like that too.

> > For example, a good cook will have ...
>
> I'm not sure this is a good example.  A cook preparing a
> gourmet meal (such as the royal chef) might fare very
> poorly if preparing a meal for the masses.  In this case,
> instead of trying to beat a target number, you might want
> to MATCH a target number instead and use the difference
> between what you roll and the target number.

OK, that's something I haven't really considered. I'd be more likely to give
a penalty to the Dx/IQ roll if something like that came up. Or just a straight
-1 reaction modifier, which is equivalent to a -10 penalty on the roll in my
system.

OTOH, it fits my campaign style that "quality is quality" - that a peasant
lass will be more astonished by a well done Royal Feast than a poorly-done one,
even if he's never seen one before, or that the King will be impressed by
plain wholesome fare that happens to be really well prepared.

I can see how others might want to handle this differently, though.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow