Re: (TFT) Re: engagement

In a message dated 11/21/2006 4:28:39 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> On Tue, November 21, 2006 8:31 am, Craig W. Barber wrote:
> > Right.  This seems to be one of the big divides between TFT and GURPS:
> > higher MA and engagement limits.
>
> Also the initiative roll and the seperation of movement and action into
> phases.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that TFT has 5 second turns, while GURPS has
1 second turns. That's why TFT movement seems higher; on a per turn basis it
is, but on a per second or per minute basis GURPS characters are faster.

Very fast combat turns is a Steve Jacksonism. Back when TFT came out, 5
second turns were very fast for roleplaying combat rules. Now combat turns of 5-6
seconds are common (and IMO the Right Thing). But when other games went to
shorter combat turns Evil Steve was emboldened to go to 1 second turns (a mistake,
IMO).

It could be worse, though. I remember the early editions of Car Wars where
the turns were divided into 1/10th second phases - *almost* short enough to
allow one to plot the movement of individual machine-gun bullets.