To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) First attacks in HTH

Lloyd,

I see Peter's explanation as the following:

HTH initiation takes place during movement (including engaged shift),
even though it gets listed in some rules (AM, Fantasy Masters'
Screen) as an action.

HTH initiator does *not* get to attack in same turn, as his HTH "move
into" also counts as an action.

If the attempt to enter HTH succeeds (die roll = 1,2,3,4), the HTH
defender *always* gets at least a free HTH attack (during his adjDX
turn) in that same round, either with his bare hands (die roll = 1,2)
or with a drawn dagger (3,4). This is because HTH initiates during
movement, so he would not have acted yet this turn.

--- Lloyd Weber <laweber3@yahoo.com> wrote:

This sounds very reasonable to me. So, shifting into HTH is an
attack that occurs in adjDX order; e.g. the attacker does not get
to also strike in the same turn. But if the defender has not done
an action yet he would be able to strike in HTH that turn? Or do I
have it wrong about attempting HTH being an attack...? Since it is
also supposed to be possible to move into HTH (given higher MA,
back to wall, etc...) then I guess both figures would get to strike
in HTH that turn.

  Lloyd

Peter von Kleinsmid <pvk@oz.net> wrote:
  If the defender get the chance (by HTH initiation result die
roll) to draw
a knife as close combat begins, that's a free action that doesn't
use his
action for the turn. Seems reasonable to me - he manages to ready
it while
he is being knocked down or grappled by the attacker. If he hasn't
acted
yet on that turn, when his action comes up on DX order that same
turn, he
can attack in HTH.

It's not important or unrealistic to look at it as him being able
to fall
down, draw a dagger, and attack in HTH all in one five-second turn.

It seems to me that it is important to realize that if you don't
let him
attack in that situation, that you'll be denying him any action
that turn
other than to be victimized by the random result of the HTH
engagement, and
the attacker (having the faster DX, unless they're tied), will get
the next
action. I.e., I think it's more important and consistent to make
sure that
the defender doesn't miss an entire turn just because he has a
lower DX
than his attacker.

PvK
body