Re: (TFT) Shields vs missile/thrown attacks on hex spines

At 10:08 PM 12/1/06 -0800, Christopher Fuhrman wrote:
So, as far as Thrown weapon Dex adjustments, I think it would make sense that
any weapon thrown at E from hexes marked "r" would get +4, and from hexes
marked "p" would get +2 (as rear and side hexes respectively). Missiles, of
course, don't get this bonus.

Why would Thrown weapons get a DX bonus for target facing, especially if missiles don't? We never gave DX bonuses for facing to either - ranged attacks get penalties for target position, but not for facing.

I think that 2-Hex Jabs should get such a bonus for side/rear attacks, though, but Melee and AM lack a table like the GURPS one to make it clear which hexes should get a side or rear bonus.

I couldn't find anything regarding this particular problem [slung shield protection] in the man-to-man rules, but they're quite long (80+ pages).

Oddly, for all that GURPS added in rules for various tactical details, I don't think there's any mention of the effects of a shield slung on the back, but it's easy to make one up (but I'll spare the anti-GURPS readers a GURPS house rule ;->).

PvK