Re: (TFT)What happend to the Mnoren?

Ran across this trying to catch up on the lists

To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Thoughts on Cidri
From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:43:50 -0600
Sender: tft-owner@brainiac.com

Stan,

Nice touch with the German accent there. I could almost see Verner Von Brahm in his lab coat explaining the physics. As to how the Mnoren made Cidri, here is my merge approach. If I may tire out our reader a little more. While this is a topic I can go on and on about, I will keep it down to one paragraph. The supporting evidence is as the end of the post, and consists of three quotes from ITL.

Cidri is more like hyper-space than a planet proper. It is a meta-domain. By that I mean it is a world of worlds. Any time a group goes through a gate, they should expect the stars to be different. What if they went through a gate and found themselves in a completely different city, but a character with mathematics talent (which includes astronomy) finds that not only are the stars not different, but that they are EXACTLY the same. This indicates that they have found a Mnoren gate.

?They had the ability to move unaided between the many alternate world that co-exist with Earth in other time-streams.?

    ?The first Mnoren used his talent only six times, . . .?

?Three hundred years after Jen Mnoren?s first jump, his descendents had found, mapped, and conquered three hundred seventy-one alternate Earths. Three had space Travel; eleven had magic.?

    -All quotes from ITL page 4

    David Michael Grouchy II

P.S.  Co-exist with Earth ?
     World jumping ?TALENT ??
     Space travel to magic, 3 to 11  out of  371 ?

I'd forgoten all about this post except as this thread unravels it seems that I haven't forgotten about it at all... When did I Peter Pan?
Oh well, it's not ALL bad.

Oh also off THE LIST I grabed this little presicious

> Thorn
>
> I knew somebody would go there.  It doesn't matter if it oxidizes, it's
> still got its speed, even if it's a vapor, and it's going to get to that
> bottom gate.  Then it goes around again.

>From that perspective, the air itself would do the job - sans coin.  All it
would have is turbulence to slow it down, which would generate heat.  Lots
of heat.  Eventually the whirling air currents would impart enough energy to
the surrounding air that you wouldn't need to turn it off to destroy a
planet.

If you assume that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, then a device of
this type is simply 'borrowing' energy from somewhere else.  If it were
borrowing that energy from the rest of the universe - say from the
spontaneous annihilation of matter taken randomly from wherever matter
happens to be - then what you would have is a device for concentrating all
the matter and energy in the universe in a small place.  Most of it would
quickly escape the gate but that's a lot of gravity in a small space.
Eventually enough of the matter would be between the gates that the effect
of gravity from outside the gates wouldn't have much effect on the stuff
inside, but by that time you'd have the biggest (indeed only) black whole in
the universe between the gates.  Gravity takes over at that point, and
eventually it blows up and looks a whole lot like the big bang (if you
believe in that sort of thing).

Makes you wonder if maybe that's what happened to the LAST guys who tried
this trick...and if perhaps it isn't still running.

How's that for a tangent :-)

-Brad

Brad Thompson wrote:

> > Ouch.  Disclaim all 'real' physics, then.  One rogue madman, one gate
> > pair, the rule set to 'always on', and a single dropped coin...
> >
> > The gravitic center of the planet will move as that coin accelerates to
> > fractions of C.  Heck if you can set the rule to 'on until x speed',
> > you've got as big a bomb as you're willing to wait for.
>
> Air resistance would burn it away long before it became a bomb.  The best
> you could get was a small shooting star.

I knew somebody would go there.  It doesn't matter if it oxidizes, it's
still got its speed, even if it's a vapor, and it's going to get to that
bottom gate.  Then it goes around again.

> Now, if you had a lodestone and a coil of wire, you'd have invented the
> first perpetual battery...

Even without it being a lodestone, any moving metal produces a field.
Bleeding off the energy of that field is one way to slow the vapor, and
keep it all from going critical.

You could also put a new gate at mid-point, and vent the plasma
wherever.  But if it's got up to anything measured in c, brace yourself
for the shift in gravity.  :)

And buried in the above exchange (I'm consolidating for the Wiki, sorta trying to gather loose ends so to speak lol so sorry for the shape of that.) is a vacume genesis theory for Mnoren universe creation useing gate pairs.

so you got the Universe.... whatchya gonna do with it?