Re: (TFT) Developed logical settings, deadly risks, and motivation

In a message dated 9/21/2007 5:55:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com writes:

> That sort of campaign is far more compelling to me than
> > "adventuring is a common pastime since it's so un-risky".
>

> Yep. Where do all these orcs keep comming from? I mean really? What bothers
> me about the orcs outta thin air, gold out my @$$ style of GMing is it's so
> bloody arbatrary. The books used to call it FAIR GMing. Duh. I'm more
> intrested in GMing as little as possable. The thing should drive itself as much as
> possable.

Let me dissent. Not about the game-world making sense in terms of where the
orcs & treasure come from, but wrt "risky" adventuring being more compelling.

I prefer to play highly competent, larger-than-life characters who are "up to
the challenge." Who are Just That Damn Good, so that the risks of adventuring
are *for them* low enough to be managable without their having to be either
bugshit crazy or utterly desperate to get into adventure-like situtations.

I can be an ordinary guy just fine in real life, thankyouverymuch. If my
character in a RPG isn't better than me in at least some ways, then I just don't
see the point of playing. YMMV.

I also have, as I was quoted noting earlier, a problem playing characters who
are bugshit crazy. But if a character is in a desperately risky situtation,
over his head and likely to die, and he isn't bugshit crazy enough to enjoy it,
then he's going to be miserable. And I roleplay my characters closely enough
that if my character is miserable, then *I* am miserable.

So why in the rude words of seven different languages should I do something
that makes me miserable for *entertainment*????