Re: (TFT) Building

Now I can tear them down!

thank you thank you thank you thank you

Okay let's look at the numbers

USDA FPL handbook No. 72 gives me this...

Common Wood Characteristics
These are listed as follows;
Workability, easy, fair, mod, hard

Shrinkage, very low, low, med low, med, med high, high, very high

Strength, (bending stress at prop limit) very weak (5000-6000psi) weak (6000-7000psi) fair (7000-9000psi) strong (9000-11,000psi) very strong (11,000-13,000psi)

side note; if I remember, the Mythbusters used Popular wood for Busters bones because of simlar stress factors. Popular is listed as fair strength.

Weight, (lbs. per ft.^3) (at 12% moisture content so kiln dried)

FYI lumber is usually measured by the "Board Foot bdf" It's 144 cubic inches so a 1" thick board that is 12" long and 12" wide is 1 bdf

Decay Resistance, low, mod, high

Insulation (given as R-factor per inch for kiln dried) up to 43% variation for softwoods and 53% for hardwoods if moisture content is higher (green wood or native lumber)

Uses,  walls, posts, shingles, trim, general, joists, floors, fuel, furn.

Okay I've got some data so...

{Armor and Strength by Material
Wood normally has 1 or 2 points of natural armor. Wood reinforced with metal
typically has 2-4 points of armor. Once past this armor, a 1 meter by 1 meter
panel of wood typically has 3 to 5 points of Strength per 1 cm thickness. Thus
a typical heavy door, one meter wide, two meters high, and 6 cm thick, might
have 2 points of armor and St 48 (4 St per cm times 6 cm thickness times 2
square meters).}

Let's say I'm useing Douglas Fir which the handbook says is suited for general use and is rated as strong. So how about weak=3St, fair=4St and etc. This makes my Fir 5St per cm. A 2" thick board would have 25St and 2pts armor. This is BEAUTIFULY in the ballpark. I give up 5St for 2pts armor. And I can make hinges. I'll keep playing with the numbers but this is really REALLY neat stuff.

Oh it occurs to me that mayhaps a Dwarf gets to ignore Rocks bonus armor as a racial bonus. Could help explain all that digging?

Mines, Dungeons....

that's in there too!

wow