Re: (TFT) , deadly risks, and scrit immunity

And even for a "short and simple" mission or adventure, a 98% chance of
survival is, on its face, very high. At least by the standards most gamers use. IME
most gamers need to either resort to "script immunity" to keep the survival
chance that high, or else need to use some sort of mechanical fudge-cheat -
e.g. the D&D craziness of characters getting raised from the dead multiple times.

I don't use a mechanical device, or plot immunity, per se, but I guess I come close to both.   The party has what I call the "player character advantage".  They know the rules and the game stats, so when Tony the Tank (on the front line) gets plastered (knocked down due to 8 pts of damage)by the troll the focus of the party changes from defeating the trolls to saving Tony (whose stats everyone knows)so the 2 wizards bust out an Aid to steady him a bit for a couple of rounds, and maybe a blur to reduce the likelihood that e gets pounded again, and Bill the Bruiser shifts a hex so Tony can disengage to safety next turn, even on his knees.

That all comes from being cautious, and getting good position, and keeping the wizards' powder dry, which the deadliness of TFT combat without healing magic really helps encourage.  It also encourages offering terms of surrender when ou have an advantage, and accepting them when you don't.  Though even better is not to fight at all if you cannot find an advantage.  That's why I love TFT combat, because when the charging hobgoblin with a javelin rolls a 3, you are likely to die from it, so NO combat should be entered lightly.

John