Re: (TFT) Re: Building; square megahex

I'm with you!

> Fundamental problems:
>
> Condition 1)  Humans build buildings square, then later some Chinese genius
> makes the whole city square.  We play football on rectilinear fields, play
> chess on square boards...

this is the "cheapest" building solution.

> Condition 2)    Outside the building / city Mother Nature lets things grow any
> old way: Mother Nature is one lousy housekeeper.  Even hexes don't necessarily
> solve the problem: I seem to recall that the grognards at SPI had an on-going
> battle for YEARS back in the 1970s or so, argueing about whether rivers should
> be regularized to follow hexsides or treated as a hex terrain that wanders in
> and out of hexes naturally.

Ma, nature has certain rules that only play out on a LARGE SCALE.

> Maybe we ARRGGGHHHH!!!!! have two different mapping systems?  Use rulers
> outside the city, squares or square megahexes inside the city.

Actually we ALREADY have a BOATLOAD of maping systems... (Forest Lords vs. Elyantia vs. Mr. Pashas vs. etc...) (what about conceptual maps?)
I'd like to agree on a group of scales...
STILL need to be able to convert ANY map/info into game terms

> Dangit, Jay, now you've got me typing stream of consciousness here.
>
> Craig B

Sorry! LOL
My machine isn't here yet.

> PS  The dwarves like to tunnel, however, on the basis of an irregular pattern
> of hexagons alternating with squares and triangles, while elven buildings are
> laid out on floorplans of non-recursive irregular patterns of infinite wonder
> and beauty.   Really.  Honest.

http://www.boardermail.com/scripts/common/home.main?a=8f98139853a8036d3ca404371ff604aa16af82e7f4e673a3386c5f50dbb046ed1103323e24a884ecd572f1d43bd9434f2a3de1fbed635f24a3fb3faf86798544fd32090043

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard/penrose.html

I Believe you...