(TFT) Making Defending more useful - Damage after armor is 1/3...

Hi everyone,
  Defending in TFT is sometimes considered not
powerful enough and there have been a number of
suggestions on how to improve it.  Some have
suggested parry rules instead or as well as
defending.  I toss out the following rule for
comment:

DEFENDING:
  When a figure defends all attacks thru the
figure's front hexes must roll 4vsDX to hit
instead of the normal 3vsDX.  In addition,
any hit that does succeed and which penetrates
armor does 1/3 damage of the after armor damage
round down - but a minimum of one point.

  Example 1: Joe H. defends but is hit by a
charging Pike Ax and takes 18 points of damage.
His leather and large shield stop 4 so he takes
14 / 3 = 4.667 damage round down to 4 points.

  Example 2: Joe H. defends but is hit (thru
his front of course) by 3 goblins.  They do
3, 5 and 9 points of damage respectively.
The 3 hits is stopped by his 4 points of armor,
no problem.  The 5 hits is reduced to 1. After
dividing by 3 and rounding down this is zero
damage but there is a minimum of 1 point so he
takes 1.  The 9 hits is reduced to 4. We divide
by 3 and round down so he again takes 1 point.

  I think that this will make defending a more
useful option with out being too powerful. Any
thoughts?

  Warm regards, Rick.