Re: (TFT) More on maps

--------------- pvk@oz.net wrote:------------------------
Our TFT campaigns used a LOT of campaign maps. Not only were the worlds
large and traveling around them a huge part of the gameplay, but acquiring
geographic knowledge was another vital element related to that.
[snip]
Commissioning map drafting from a scholars' guild was a fun investment for
players, maps and other documents were some of the most fun loot, and some
adventures involved going exploring to find out what was really at a
certain location, etc.

I LOVE this post.

In my current game the party has 3 maps of the duchy, none of which agree on every detail - but all of which arevaluable loot.  Is Hillsgate the last town before the mountains, or the first town in the mountains?  Depends on which map, if you need to know for certain, go look for yourself - but by having maps you know roughly how to get there.

My last game (early 1990's vintage) was even more map-centic.  The party spent monhs on an adventure to retrieve the Grand Atlas of Italy (one of the Grandd Atlases in the Southport scholar's guild, world renown for its cartography).  It had been stolen by an Italian warlord whose mercenary troops were invading a neighboring principality, and who rightly concluded he would benefit from understanding the lay of the land.  When they returned it,somewhat the worse for wear (travelled with amercenary army, smuggled through a privy, hidden in a stable and briefly dropped in a bay) they were feted like returning heroes.

Later, their association with the guid was ableto get them help on a quest from an old orcish cartographer who wanted to crown his carreer by being accepted as a peer in the southport guild. He was very valuable in keeping them from geting lost and helping them find a number of legendary locations.   Between a good word from the party, and donating his large and accurate collection of maps of china (his life's work) his wish was fulfilled.

I love maps.

John