From: tft-admin@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-admin@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
George Dew
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 18:39
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: RE: (TFT) TFT-style rules

Craig,

I really enjoyed your post! :-)

Let me explain a little about the thought behind the Trademark issue.
However, I have to give a little background first.

First of all, like everyone else, I REALLY loved TFT as a kid.  I thought it
was far superior to DnD, and we played it all the time.

My brother Warren wrote "Crown of Kings" and submitted it to Metagaming back
in 1980, but they never got back to him, so it languished on a shelf for a
quarter of a century--sounds like the "one ring" doesn't it--after all, it's
what started all this trouble :-)

Well, when my oldest son turned 13, we broke out the old TFT materials and
he really became interested.  In a generation of video games, I was
extremely encouraged, until we ran out of all TFT materials, including the
then-for-TFT "Crown of Kings."

At that point in time, I put some original adventure materials such as
"Crown of Kings" & "Grey Sapphire" up on the Internet, but sadly, it was
text-based (kind of like Zork), not like the whiz-bang stuff of modern video
games.  I started getting feedback, and it seemed that people wanted hard
copies.

Well, one thing led to another, and before long, we had gotten artwork for
the cover, pieces, and internal illustrations.  To defray this cost, we
began selling the games on eBay.  However, as anyone can quickly figure out,
you can't make $$ in the game industry unless you're one of the big players.
How's the joke go? "to make a million in the game industry, you start with
two."  In two years of existence DCG has lost about $25,000.  However, the
good thing here is that the venture doesn't have to make money to continue
operating.

So after putting all the time and money into the thing, there were some
concerns that the copyright owner would resurface and sue us!!  I doubt this
would happen because of the way we've structured things, but nothing's out
of the realm of possibility.  Furthermore, I believe that someone only sues
if there's money in it.  But just to be safe, we did the trademark.

So what it comes down to is that we trademarked "The Fantasy Trip" as
another barrier to keep ourselves from getting sued.  However, after reading
your post, I now realize that there are other purposed to which the
trademark can be used.

The point here is that I LOVED TFT as a kid, and I was heartbroken when it
went out of business.  I even bought the several GURPS Conan programmed
adventures when they came out, hoping for more of the old stuff.

Anyway, if the orignal TFT copyright holder resurfaced, I would WELCOME
their return.  Keep in mind, we're not in this to make money, we're in this
because we love the hobby.

Also along those lines, I really respect the original material.  However,
this creates kind of a conflict.  The copyright belongs to someone out
there, and legal issues aside, it's THEIR creative property.  On the other
hand, it's a real shame to see this wonderful hobby languish and die as our
generation gradually recedes.

I guess that's why we started DCG.  To me, my favorite two things in the
world are gaming; and spending time with my children.  When I can combine
the two, I'm in heaven.