RE: (TFT) Intentions

Jay,

My point is that I don't necessarily think that it is important (and,
indeed, is futile) to try to model real world physics in this fantasy game.
Conan doesn't calculate the ergs needed to breakdown a door or how many BTUs
his campfire must generate to keep him from turning in to a meat Popsicle.
What's important is that the GM decides whether the door needs to be strong
enough to slow Conan down so he has to make a couple of runs at it, or
whether it's not really important and the brute simply crashes through with
suitable cinematic flair.

In my opinion, there are games that are much better suited for such granular
simulations than a simple, thumbnail sketch like TFT. GURPS comes to mind as
do some d20 game systems which can support such realism. As I read through
the various TFT books and materials, I am excited about the potential for
action and adventure, not the potential for realism. I honestly think TFT is
one of the best systems I've seen for killing dragons and stealing their
stuff.

I think that there is real value in helping GMs and players estimate effects
rather than finding the value of one ST, one DX or one IQ so they can
calculate effects. If I'm a GM and player wants to use an edged weapon that
isn't listed I need do no more than find something listed that is close to
use as baseline characteristics and move on and play the play the game. What
is the real value of knowing the actual weight, moment arm, energy imparted,
etc.? Make some estimates and go kill that annoying demon thing standing
between your hero and the treasure.

Now don't get me wrong, if your goal is to take the simple TFT game and
model the real universe with it, you go right ahead and go full steam ahead
and have fun as much fun doing as you can doing it. It's just not my cup of
tea. And, while I understand what you are doing, I'm having trouble
understanding the value of doing it, that's all.

BTW, you don't tick me off.

> During play, the GM should only be affecting the gameworld in the same
> maner as a player, through the Characters.

Now, I don't agree with this statement at all. I own dozens of RPG rules and
I don't think a single one agrees with you either. The GM is not another
player. The GM is the ultimate arbiter in an RPG and must continuously make
judgments concerning the course, tone, and event resolution throughout the
game. The PC interact within the game and the player's objective is to role
play and avoid meta-gaming as much as possible. Many games advise the GM to
reward the players for doing this well. On the other hand, it's the GM's job
to meta-game. The GM is the omniscient and omnipotent supreme being. By
definition, the GM cannot only interact with the game in the same way as
players.

Ray Rangel
ray.rangel@cox.net
http://xraysvision.blogspot.com/