RE: (TFT) Travel,terain and groups

---- David Michael Grouchy II  wrote:
> > From: selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com
> >
> > A personal note on those encounter tables.
> > After a jaunt through a temperate rainforest for the first time I
> > noticed that you pretty much HAD to move down the same paths that
> > the deer and elk and bears moved down. It's the bear part that's a
> > bit disturbing. Them and the cougars. Almost makes ya miss the
> > cottonmouths...
> > Anyhoo you'd be foolish to hunt by yourself around here.
>

> Jay,
>     I was hiking once with a friend.  Eventually the trail led down by the
> Mississippi river.  Still heavily wooded, but the river was close.  Ahead
> a huge branch had fallen across the path.  It was about three meters
> long.  My friend stepped over it.  I was walking a few paces behind.
> The dark branch became disturbed and suddenly slithered off the
> path into the underbrush.

I remember once I was hiking with my Dad's troop of Webelos (sp?).
I was a Cub Scout at the time, so I was quite excited.  The trail we
were on was climbing a mountain and passed between a couple of
large rocks.  As the lead hiker passed through the rock, all of us heard
the dreaded sound of a rattler.

I have never seen people jump so high or so far down a mountain
since.

Dan