Re: (TFT) Thoughts on "Industrial Disease"

Quoting ErolB1@aol.com:

o Cost effectiveness:
Quite correct. But look at the tables in ITL. Assuming that supply and demand
are in equalibrium, most middle-class persons would be capable of owning magic
items.
o Economies of Scale:
Also correct.
o Malicious Magic:
I disagree. It's very possible to have beneficial industrial magic. How's about
Light items used as streetlamps?

o Control-freak planning and obsession with details:
Cat's out of the bag on that one, if you use standard TFT. Ingredient lists,
spells, books, and labs are pretty well laid out. there's little art in the
game mechanic.
o Rigidly defined & detailed inputs:
I disagree. Detailed recipes only result in industry if the ingredients can be
farm-raised, or are common in some way.
o Excessive Unreliability:
I'm not sure what you're saying here.
o Magic so good that it creates a class distinction:
I agree, but see cost effectiveness. I keep magic from being industrial by the culture of the milieu of my world. Specifically, there is industrial magic going on, a lot of it. But it's not well-known that this is so. It's part of a very large conspiricy. If the players try to set up industrial magic where the people, the market, are, they'll suffer pretty badly. If they go where there aren't people, they have no market (and yes, Gates exist, and we're back to them suffering). Let's just say that a certain group has already acheived critical mass on rejuv. and revive... So there's another alternative. The players push one way, the world pushes back. Makes for some good games.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com