Re: (TFT) Rough and Ready Campaigns 3

-- "Jay Carlisle" -----------------------------------
Rough and Ready Campaigns

Style 3

>From scratch.

Jay,
    You totally lost me with this one.  Not just a little lost like many of your posts, all sorts of lost.

I mean I got the whole Civ thing (or Dominions) to generate a mostly internally consistent world, and to even let the world run in the background (though with 20 yr turns in civ, many campaigns would not see alot of change in the background.

And using a pre-built game world is pretty straightforward too.

But build-your-own is what I generally do, and there are very few PCs in crates when I do.

I suppose it is the arena series thing.  When I run a game of arena matches, it is a game of arena matches (as the description implies).  So things other than the arena matches, are simply not part of the game.

Now if I run a campaign (the normal ongoing story definition, rather than the broad wiki definition) there is generally more than arena combat involved.  Often there is a party of adventurers doing adventurous things.  To facilitate this, there is often a number of maps representing the area(s) that the adventurers are familiar with, and the area(s) that the adventures are likely to take place.

Once I have a map or two, all sorts of ideas start happening, I describe the locale and its history in broad strokes to the players, then we get a few characters generated, whose players have ideas of their own (hey, I want to find out what is in this big blank sectionof map -- Road Trip!) and before you know it, we have a campaign.

It can definitely happen on the fly, much of my details get filled in during play.  Of course the group has to be OK with that, but mine is.  Yours may not be.

The group is really the key to most games (IMO).  If the players want to break the game (say, through industrializing magic) they can make the GMs job really hard - if they try to make the game work for everyone, it make the GMs job easier.

Anyway, now I am rambling.  Ijust wanted to say that I got run over by Jay's train of thought in R&R3.  But the other 2 i got.

John