Re: (TFT) Thoughts on "Industrial Disease"

You have what I consider to be an unrealistic and "magical" economy, then.
(Cue real-world economic debates and flame wars about how economics work.)

I think, by definition, "magical" economies are somewhat unrealistic. :-)

I apply a little economic theory in may games, just to keep my head on straight, but mainly it just has to work well enough to facilitate our fun.

Trade routes are where it would be fun to have a trade route.  Shortages of goods happen when it would be more fun for a good to be rare, etc.

There are no pre-existing gates set up in series with appropriate rules to accelerate boulders to terminal velocity and then launch them at castle walls, because they would not increase my fun.  And my players are unlikely to build one because it is too weasely to fly in my game.  They are adventurers, not mystical siege engine designers.  So they adventure.