Re: (TFT) Raw Text,Talents & Tech

Yes, you are making lot of sense to me, and if you wrote me that 15-20
years ago, I would likely have joined your deliberations in great detail.
At the moment, I'm just very interested and tempted, and will take a
momentary dip at this point.

And, if/when I get around to a certain game design I have had in mind to
complete (an event which may take a year or more to unfold, and might
never happen), I may re-read all of your posts and want to discuss things
in detail.

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that you're doing things like I did when I
started looking for ways to expand TFT, and a few years later, when
developing GURPS into GURPS + various house rules and imports.

I think I asked you if you'd given GURPS a try, but I don't remember if I
really did, or what you replied, sorry. It'd just come down to playstyle -
maybe you're satisfied with the level of detail in TFT combat and
characters, but want more detailed campaign-level rules? (That can be just
a rhetorical question - I think you've discussed that with the list a few
times and I just don't remember what I read or skipped.) I ask it
(rhetorically) because otherwise, or even so, I think you might profit
from reading the GURPS advanced combat rules (any edition), even if just
to pick up snippets of concepts and possible rules mechanics for them.
GURPS advanced combat is thick with detailed rules scattered between
sections and squirreled away in sidebars.

And one point that comes to mind is with mace quality, believe it or not,
which is what prompted this unnecessarily verbose and rambling
interjection.

Specifically, GURPS weapon quality levels have different effects depending
on the type of weapon, for reasons which make sense (if you are interested
in having your game work similar to how the real world works). Blunt
weapons like maces, after all, are mainly about solidly pounding someone
with a dense weight on a lever, which can be done with rock/stick/cord
about as effectively as with forged steel (it's more about how heavy a
weight the fighter even wants). So, impact pretty much doesn't increase
with tech level or weapon quality, unless you take your weapon system to
greater detail that GURPS does. In GURPS, a fine mace is simply much more
durable and harder to destroy than an average or cheap or lower-tech mace,
and it doesn't cost nearly as much as a fine sword (which does do more
damage because the sharp parts are more effective). GURPS does distinguish
different forms if you get really primitive (like if you can manage to
survive the bad cover art of GURPS Ice Age and bring yourself to buy it or
otherwise obtain it long enough to study the weapons table and notes
there).

Now, for an apeshit-detailed game, someone like you or I might actually
want to distinguish form and materials, even length and striking surfaces,
and the skill and success of the manufacture of each weapon. Mainly
because we can't help being fascinated by the details of cause and effect
and are enjoying ourselves. In the end though, it's about bonking someone
with a heavy weight on a stick, and the main effect of such things is
mainly going to be mass and length (desirable values for which can be
achieved at low tech with rock/stick/cord) and durability and perhaps
interaction with different types of weapons and armor (a flanged iron mace
with points probably does injure and penetrate different types of armor
differently than a round ball like most rocks - the questions become
whether or not the difference is something we care about and understand
well enough to include in our rules and/or weapon tables).

Clearly though, this type of thinking multiplies the depth of the
discourse that is gaming by a factor of 100 or more. So it's for the few
of us that enjoy it and become unsatisfied when our games don't fit our
models of how things work in a world we can satisfactorily believe in.

PvK