Re: (TFT) Units

On Sun, April 27, 2008 9:29 am, Jay Carlisle wrote:
> [...]

I get the first two lines. The second two I still don't get.
aprnt = what?
300 what?

>> > If a Chit is 25 men in Goblin, this is 14 Chits, 2 are Wizards.
>>
>> What? You mean, 14 companies of 25 fighters, and 2 companies of 25
>> Wizards?
>
> 12 "companies" of aprentices (Aid Spell)
> 2 companies of Wizards

Oh, ok.

>> > @ 100psi per 1pt dam this is 1,600,000psi
>>
>> psi? Seems to me fireballs would do damage by heat rather than pressure.
>
> Let's see, call it HP and convert to BTU's and I get 105,000,000.
> 1.3m^3 is like 80.... something feet cubed... 52"? 54"? 2.5tones of water
>
> I've pulled the 1pt dam = 100psi straight outta my neathers.
>
> Finally, alot of an explosion is pressure huh?
> Granted that (much like how one sees Flying) a Fireball may be ment to
> refer to a very energetic plasma but then it's a packing problem huh? How
> much of the stuff can I get into that space before it gets to a boom
> state?

Is it a packing problem? It seems pretty clear to me that the fireball
spell is limited to injuring one target. Especially if you have the "Fire
Blast" spell or "Explosive Fireball" spell to contrast it to (see
Interplay). Extra energy just burns that one target more thoroughly. It
seems more like psychic magic than generating a lot of heat or explosive
force, but you could define it the way you are going here if you like. I
just think you could still be just as logical and mechanical about it, and
not go down the thread you're choosing.

> How about a world where every single Wizard had a crystal ball that
> allowed all Wizards to focus their power on a singel spell?

How about it? Sounds like a recipe for lots of high-powered magic mayhem.
I had enough trouble with the implications of single crystal balls without
that ability.

> Is that a limit on how big a Fireball can be?
> Nope, but my point is that even if the potential Fireball is unlimited in
> potental Damage (i.e. destroy Universe, as far as order goes anyhoo) in
> design, there shouldn't be an infinate number of people, ST, etc.

Ok.

>> I'd add up the heat and then use a generic heat formula to determine
>> conflagration effects... of course, it sounded to me like you were also
>> assuming they all manage to hit the same hex at the same time...
>
> All Aid 1 spell.

Oh, I didn't get that before.

> Of course your correct about running with the average, but I'z going for
> maximum effect with this example.

You're never gonna roll all 6's if you're rolling a lot of dice. Just add
more apprentices.

> Does it leave a crater?

Up to how you define it. As I said, my interpretation is that the damage
is concentrated in one hex, but I'm intrigued by your idea as an alternate
way to play.

> Based off that cubed hex I've got the centerpoint of the fireball 2'2"
> above the centerpoint of the hex.
> 1g per cubic cm for water
> frozen water is about the same density as wood
> ~5g per cubic cm for rock
>
> Also pass-through damage.
> How many Houses (~ 500pST) must a Joe Average Figure stand behind too
> survive inside the blast damage radius?

Well clearly you want some explosive and heat damage engineering data. I'd
look to the US War Office for statistics, and then map backwards to what
you want.

PvK