(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1006

Here's another friendly reminder to everyone to please clip posts. It make Digests very long and confusing.

SOOOOOOOO... going back to my original post which started this whole mess, I'm still trying to understand Jay's comments regarding scale, but I think I'll rescind my comment about the LOU turn being too long.

From the other post about this, I had forgotten that each turn was both movement and combat, such that a game turn that is three times the normal movement rate actually seems pretty close. Two times might be better, but it's not as off as I originally thought.

As to the comment about formations, I can see a simple possibility, a negative to combat strength (say -5 or -10) or a shift of one in the odds column when out of formation.

I'm still going to try this at some point, but I haven't yet. I was thinking that a straight translation of combat effects, such as scaling up who would win in a one on one fight might not capture the right feel, due to such things as formations, training etc. but I'm open to being convinced.

On Apr 29, 2008, at 7:32 PM, TFT Digest wrote:

TFT Digest Tuesday, April 29 2008 Volume 03 : Number 1006

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:51:07 -0400
From: Ray Rangel <ray.rangel@cox.net>
Subject: RE: (TFT) Is TFT a role playing or board game?

I think you're right about this, Rick.

To address the 'topic' directly:

TFT, taken as a whole, is an RPG. Melee and Wizards are board games in their own right.

- ---- Rick Smith <rsmith@lightspeed.ca> wrote:
I do not think that if a game system can have
programmed adventures written for it or not
has much to say on if such a game system is a
role playing system or a board game.

Barbarian King is a solitaire board game.
Alone Against The Wendigo is for the role
playing game, Call of Cthulhu.

Now a RPG that is tightly written would be
easier to build programmed adventures for, but
beyond that, I don't see much connection.

Rick