Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1005

This is, indeed, correct. The apparent energy decreases with the square of the distance when the energy is evenly distributed and incoherant (e.g. starlight). However, this is not true when the energy is directed in a single direction or is coherant (e.g. LASER light).

Thus the energy resulting from an asteriod which gets blown up by a charge set at its center would disipate pretty evenly and would rarify (on average) by the square of the distance from the center.

As a side note: the amount of energy from the explosion never really decreases. It simply becomes dispursed over a wider area. Thus less of the energy acts on an object which is further away.

--

Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggy..." while reaching for a rock.