RE: (TFT) Jousting

This sounds fascinating. I love your breakdown of hth combat with formations. And what you say about guilds sounds reasonable. But I'll be honest -- I'll likely never play a political/economic game, so it's only of interest on the theoretic level. Now, you start talking battlefield applications, and barbarians like myself will be keenly interested! Lords of Underearth made me cross-eyed.

For whatever reason your post made me think of Classic Traveller (in a good way). That's a system that never reached its full potential until you started adding in all the various boardgames. Want an ultra-realistic skirmish system? Add in snapshot. Want a company-level mercenary system? Add in Striker. Want to simulate a full-scale war? Add in Fifth Frontier War. There were economic boardgames with asteroid mining, there were political adventures with little diplomatic mini-games built into them, etc. Though I'll admit Classic Traveller did get messy...the cogs didn't always fit together quite right.

Speaking of mini-games, I love your character generator program. Is there a way to input user-created jobs? That is, if I invent a job with a salary and risk profile, is there a way to include it?