(TFT) working hard to keep the wrecks off the river.

DMG:

Pardon the loose thoughts here. At 50, I am battling severe backpain trying
to form cohesive thoughts, while trying to orchestrate a toddler.

My original interpretation of this... a mental picture... The enemy ships
coming down the river filled with archers and footmen... The allies used
trebuchets and catapults to sink the ships before they could get to the port
town. During the height of the battle the river was literally littered with
broken enemy vessels.

war is a terrible thing, especially if you loose.