RE: (TFT) Slow Magic

  Interesting approach but not very appealing to me.  It's changing the
TFT system and creating a hybrid psionic/magic system. What you describe
might be a good way to "convert" or "transport" a D&D type wizard into a
TFT world thereby demonstrating the distinction between the two,
although you would still require the M,S,V requirements for the D&D
wizard.  These slow wizards are very vulnerable in a game that focuses
on tactical combat. The wizard would have to have henchmen to assist
like they often do in the S&S literature, be skilled in combat himself
(Gandalf), be very lucky or have some kind of "instant" magic to use in
a pinch.

I did a little write up on a systemt that tried to implement the
Hyborean/Acheronian system of magic. See

http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0808/msg00126.html

I've never gotten around to trying it. While, as I say, it has great
potential, I'm not certain I could get players to embrace such a system
of magic for their PC's that mirrors that found in the Conan novels. The
game itself discourages it and recommends magic for NPC's and bad guys.
I've never read the later works, only the Robert E. Howard stuff, so
maybe there's more instant magic in the later novels.

FWIW,
Aidan

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Marc Gacy wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:04:07 -0500
> From: "Todd Roseberry" <paleryder1@verizon.net
> <mailto:paleryder1@verizon.net> B  <mailto:paleryder1@verizon.net> >
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Stormbringer & Elric
>
> Even more testing of one's patience would be Hyborean magic. It's
> slow, dangerous, corrupting but big and powerful. Hard to role-play
> such a wizard if you're interested in "instant" magic.

How about this (POMA-style) house rule?

I haven't tried this yet, but it might give a different flavor to the
game and not require "Conan the Librarian"

- Marc
<mailto:tft@brainiac.com> B  <mailto:tft@brainiac.com>
<mailto:majordomo@brainiac.com> B  <mailto:majordomo@brainiac.com> B with
the message body