RE: (TFT) Slow Magic

>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:11:49 -0500 (CDT)
>From: paleryder1@verizon.net
>Subject: RE: (TFT) Slow Magic
>
>  Interesting approach but not very appealing to me.  It's changing the
>TFT system and creating a hybrid psionic/magic system.

I guess I don't think of a contest of will as inherently psionic.
Why was it so hard for Gandalf to lock a simple door? The balrog was actively resisting him (that was my inspiration)

>might be a good way to "convert" or "transport" a D&D type wizard into a
>TFT world thereby demonstrating the distinction between the two,
>although you would still require the M,S,V requirements for the D&D
>wizard.

I don't fully understand this, but then again, I never played D&D wizards according to the rules anyway.

>These slow wizards are very vulnerable in a game that focuses
>on tactical combat.

Correct.

>The wizard would have to have henchmen to assist
>like they often do in the S&S literature,

Correct again

>be skilled in combat himself
>(Gandalf),

Yes and no if he has henchmen.

>be very lucky

I removed luck by allowing them to pay the fatigue cost to resist distraction.

>or have some kind of "instant" magic to use in a pinch.

The instant magic is still there, it costs the same as it did before.

So it seems like the approach was effective in that you interpreted it pretty closely to I what had intended.

As to playability, the main thing I'd get rid of is the "no metal" aspect of wizards, and maybe add the normal armor penalty to IQ checks as well.

>I did a little write up on a systemt that tried to implement the
>Hyborean/Acheronian system of magic. See
>
>http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0808/msg00126.html

Nice, but I've never been very fond of "make up magic as you go" systems. Too much potential for abuse by both players and GMs.

>I've never gotten around to trying it. While, as I say, it has great
>potential, I'm not certain I could get players to embrace such a system
>of magic for their PC's that mirrors that found in the Conan novels.

True, they'd have to want to do it.