Re: (TFT) Gauging difficulty / Encounter level, and player level?

Hi all, Joel.
  Dave Seagrave ran a series of fights in his pbem
campaign (Thail) which were real nail biters.  I
asked him how he picked fights that were so well
balanced and he said that he had a formula that
calculated the combat value of the party.  He would
just pick enemies a tad lower, and then he had a
tough fight that we should be able to win.

  Perhaps you could beg Dave to share his formula?

  As for me, I look at the DX of the enemies.  If
their DX's are higher, then that is bad news for the
PC's.  What are the armor of the NPC's.  Obviously,
if they can shrug off the average damage that the
PC's are dishing out, that has a big effect.  The
side that has more figures has a big advantage.
Everyone pairs up, and one guy can run around into
sides or rears for free attacks.  (Of course the
battle geometry may not allow this, but if it does
look out.)

  Warm regards, Rick.